Measurement and Geometry - Volume is an approx. 1.5 hr mathematics incursion using environmental and outdoor themes to enrich and strengthen mathematics learning outcomes.
Students will learn about, and measure, aspects of school water use, in order to extend their understanding of the Volume and Capacity outcome of the mathematics syllabus. They will also be involved in Working Mathematically by conducting a school water audit to develop understanding and fluency in mathematics through inquiry, exploring and connecting mathematical concepts, choosing and applying problem-solving skills and mathematical techniques, communication and reasoning.
- Recognise the need for a formal unit to measure volume and capacity
- Estimate, measure, compare and record volumes and capacities using litres
Key syllabus outcomes
- Volume and Capacity - measures, records, compares and estimates volumes and capacities using litres, millilitres and cubic centimetres MA2-11MG;
- Problem Solving - selects and uses appropriate mental or written strategies, or technology, to solve problems MA2-2WM;
- Communicating - uses appropriate terminology to describe, and symbols to represent, mathematical ideas MA2-1WM.
Cross Curriculum Priorities and General Capabilities of Sustainability, Literacy & Personal and Social Capability are a feature of the program.
During the program, students will develop knowledge and skills in:
- estimating, measuring, comparing and recording volumes and capacities using litres
- working mathematically by applying strategies to explore and solve problems, and communicating and representing mathematical ideas.
On the day activities
During the incursion, students will:
- Learn about the volume of global fresh water supplies and represent these volumes in containers.
- Undertake a school water audit to determine the number and efficiency of school water devices and present this information graphically;
- Calculate the amount of water used at school in a variety of ways, eg per year, month, day, person etc;
- Learn about the importance of being water wise;
- Measure volumes of water including from dripping or leaking taps;
- Develop a plan to save water and communicate this strategy to the school.
Pre visit and follow up resources
Pre visit activities
Activities prior to the delivery of the program will help prepare students for the day as well as link the program to the class program.
These could include:
- Try some games and activities from Get Smart.
- YouTube Volume and Capacity video.
Follow up activities
- Create posters why and how people can save water at school or at home.
Pre visit and follow up resources PDF 96KB
- DoE - $10 per student (GST free).
- Non Government School $15 per student (GST free). Minimum cost of $600.
Incursion program downloads
Download these documents to help with your incursion planning: