Urban Dynamics – Green Square supports Stage 6 Geography and focuses on the urban dynamics of renewal and consolidation in Green Square Sydney. Green Square is undergoing rapid change as a result of urban consolidation and renewal. Students will investigate the urban dynamics and assess the sustainability and liveability of Green Square, using ‘best practice’ planning principles, in order to answer a fieldwork question. They will also visit the City of Sydney Council, when available, for a presentation on Green Square by City of Sydney Town Planners, and to view the Green Square planning model.
Green Square NSW - The fieldwork begins at the City of Sydney Town Hall, (when available), and students then travel by train to Green Square.
View the Gooogle Fieldwork map with approximate walking route, meeting location and pick up location. Please note, this map only shows the Green Square component of the excursion. Starting location is at Town Hall (when available). Please check on booking.
Key inquiry question
Explain why and how the government has implemented urban consolidation and renewal in Green Square and evaluate how successful this has been in improving the liveability of Green Square.
Key syllabus outcomes
- explains the changing nature, spatial patterns and interactions of urban places
- analyses contemporary urban dynamics and applies them in specific contexts
- evaluates environmental management strategies in terms of ecological sustainability
- Plans geographical enquiries to analyse and synthesise information form a varity of sources
- Applies maps, graphs and statistics, photographs and fieldwork to analyse and integrate data in geographical contexts.
Integrating the ‘Sustainability’ Cross Curriculum Priority is a feature of the program.
Learning activities may include:
- an introductory presentation at Sydney Town Hall, by a town planner, on the Green Square development precinct and the urban dynamics operating there (dependent on City of Sydney Council availability - check on booking)
- using a pre loaded Epicollect App on student's mobile devices to collect data about urban dynamics, including their economic, social and environmental outcomes. This data, and a virtual map of their fieldwork, will be sent back to school following the fieldwork.
- mapping skills
- assessing liveability and sustainability using a rating index
- Surveying Green Square community members (when appropriate)
- developing Geographic Inquiry Skills including: Acquiring (what is where), Processing (why is it there), and Communicating (why care)
- answering a fieldwork question.
Student previsit and follow up activities
Successful fieldwork visits have direct links to current classroom learning. Pre-visit activities carried out prior to the excursion will help students better understand their excursion content and provide connectedness and relevance to classroom learning.
The following tasks, together with fieldwork, will help students answer the fieldwork question:
Students should view the introductory presentation on the fieldwork support website below, to familiarise themselves with the study site and geographic concepts covered. at: https://sites.google.com/education.nsw.gov.au/obhill-urbanplaces-greensquare/home
On the day activities
During the full day fieldwork excursion, students will:
- listen to an introductory presentation by a town planner at the City of Sydney Council about the Green Square development precinct (dependent on availability).
- view the City of Sydney and Green Square planning models (when available).
- undertake a tour of Green Square to acquire, process and communicate geographic information to answer a fieldwork question.
- learn basic geographic tools including mapping, photo interpretation, observing and recording (including on student's mobile devices)
- use a liveability rating index to record evidence of liveability and sustainability due to the outcomes of urban renewal and consolidation in the study area
- conduct a community survey (when appropriate)
- 1 - 2 DoE classes $10 (GST Free)
- Non Government School $20 per student (GST free).