Humans Shape Places - GreenWay is a Stage 3 Geography fieldwork program focusing on the S3 syllabus content Factors that Shape Places, and particularly, the content area Humans Shape Places. Students will explore the inner west GreenWay corridor to investigate how this area is being developed as a natural, recreational and active transport corridor. The overall aim of the fieldwork is for students to develop their own plan to transform a part of the GreenWay into a more natural, recreational and 'active transport' precinct.
The Inner West GreenWay corridor from Lillyfield to Lewisham West
View the Google Excursion Map with approximate walking route, meeting location and pick up location.
Please note: For school located close to the Greenway, alternative arrangements can be made re starting and finishing locations.
Key inquiry question
How do people influence places and the management of spaces within them?
Key syllabus outcomes
- describe diverse features and characteristics of places and environments
- investigate how people influence places and contribute to sustainability
- explain interactions and connections between people, places and environments
- examine a local planning issue, the different views about it and a possible action to respond to it
- acquire, process and communicate geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Integrating the Sustainability’ Cross Curriculum Priority is a feature of the program.
- collecting geographical data by observing, recording and using maps
- representing different types of geographical information by constructing maps that conform to cartographic conventions
- presenting findings and ideas in a range of communication forms
- reflecting on learning to propose individual and collective action in response to a contemporary geographic challenge
Student pre-visit and follow up activities
Successful excursions have direct links to current classroom learning. Pre-visit activities carried out prior to the excursion will help students better understand their excursion content and provide connectedness and relevance to classroom learning.
Download the student pre-visit and follow up activity worksheet (DOCX 49.1KB)
On the day activities
During the full day fieldwork excursion, students will:
- acquire, process and communicate geographic information to answer a fieldwork question
- learn about past uses of the study site including those of Aboriginal people
- learn basic geographic tools including maps, line drawings, photo interpretation etc
- measure environmental factors with instruments
- undertake a water quality test
- use Ipads to document their fieldwork activities
- undertake a guided tour of the GreenWay to learn about proposed developments and actions that may improve sustainability
- 1 - 2 DoE classes $10 (GST Free)
- 3 DoE classes $13 (GST Free)
- Non Government School $20 per student (GST free). Minimum cost of $600.